Masterchan[a / b / biz / c / co / g / gg / global / k / lit / Movies / mu / nsa / pc / pol / sci / toon / tv / x]

Comics - /co/[Catalog][Board FAQ]

[?]

TopBottom
Media deleted

So, what comics have you pursued and what comics have you finished? I have been reading webcomics, but I will allow any type of comic to be discussed here. I have been passively pursuing Cyanide and Happiness (the comics) because I saw the /co/ recommendations. Overall, it's not that funny and I think the videos that are made are better because they have a good twist at the end. I recommend the comics onlyi if you want to pursue a big comic site like Cyanide and Happiness that has a large following already. There must be over 3,000 individual comics though. The second (web) comic I have been reading is Whomp! The reason being was because it was also recommended and I find the main character to be identical to many people I find on wizardchan. He has no social skills and is has many regrets. He could be relate-able to a lot of people from other chans too because he has the cursed beta attitude and is obese. If you haven't seen the /co/ recommended list for webcomics, here it is. There are many recommended lists by the way.

>>

I used to read order of the stick daily, was pretty good. So was a modest destiny, until the creator went insane

>>
Media deleted

Here's a gem from Cyanide and Happiness. I find that if I seek out these small gems in this webcomic, I have more of a reason to keep on reading. Marabros beware.

>>

>>142 What happened to the creator of Modest Destiny?

>>
Media deleted

I also find this one pretty clever as well. What makes you keep on reading your comics chums?

>>

>gag-a-day >wonderella More like gag-a-month, amirite?

>>

>>145 For webcomics, sheer fucking boredom. Stuff like Gunnerkrigg Court, Unsounded and Lackadaisy I would abandon for months even years at a time so I can binge read later. But I read comedy comics and the "gag-a-day" in OP's pic regularly. And I don't usually buy comics too. I'd wait for the TPB. This is a bad idea because people need to support the damn thing so it can get a TPB in the first place but fuck 'em. Publishers don't know the sadness of finding a decent comic only to learn 3 or 4 issues later that it's cancelled.

>>
Media deleted

>>148 I've been binge reading as of now. I would not recommend it if the comic is boring. I have 998 more comic strips to go through before I totally disregard this comic though. Despite all the unfunny comics though, I have found some gems. Any comic that has something clever in it, like a song, a rhyme, a gag, a pun, or a twist ending can be interesting. This one's a parody of another comic. I've also been trying to find any comics with some kind of top hat in it.

>>
Image Thumbnail

>>158 No, I meant >What makes you keep on reading your comics chums? I read webcomics out of sheer boredom. There are some cool webcomics out there too but in my stupidity, I would often delete them from my bookmarks once they've finished their run. I am chock-full of bad ideas, as you may have noticed. I'll go dive into them again to find some cool stuff to recommend. >>141 >So, what comics have you pursued and what comics have you finished? A lot more than I can count and it's come to a point where I would find something, enjoy it immensely then realize midway into the damn thing that I've already read it long ago. Maybe comics did rot my brain after all!

>>

I've read more than I probably should have. I'll go through and review some comics - recommendations only work if you're talking to your clone. If you're looking for comics, browse through tvtropes. >>145 I subsist off ideas and poor humour. Webcomics are generally filled with ideas and poor humour. Drowtales: Decent drama/adventure webcomic seinen. Long story following the life and times of Ariel, the protagonist who starts as an innocent little girl and gets her soul crushed by Drow society. Surprisingly, it's not painfully wangsty nor depressing, as our protagonist has wonderful protagonist spirit to pull through all the shit life throws at her in that wonderfully/autistically detailed world. No, what the authors stumble on is that they think their fictional battles are actually interesting. Perhaps as video it would be, but as a comic the battles are surprisingly bland and uncaptivating. Thankfully, in the first arc, there's very few pages of battle - existing mostly as recollections from older drow. The battles pick up in frequency after the timeskip, which led to me dropping it - the story felt entirely different.

>>

minus: Perhaps my favourite webcomic of all time. It's a wonderful slice of life that manages to not only make an omnipotent protagonist work, but makes it entertaining to read. It contains a range of themes, from existential horror to humour. The art is beautiful and subtle, the story is strong and well communicated with grace. The only strong criticism I can think of is that at times it seems inconsistent, but then you must recall the nature of the story. Here is probably its most infamous scene: http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/minus3.html

>>

Errant Story: Classic Tolkien-esq fantasy adventure with some weeb elements. The art is decent - somewhere between manga and your 'traditional' webcomic. Lots of comedy, some drama depending on which character holds POV and some mayfly-december romance. The faggoty errant really drags the story down with his wangst (though it is lampshaded), but the other characters are balanced and interesting. The world is fairly detailed, but it seems either the author is very pessimistic of society, as retardation seems to be an emergent property of any given society in the webcomic - even the fucking gods! Overall, it's decent reading, but it may induce the need to bash one's head against their desk. Does Not Play Well with Others: Comic by the same author. This one is more gag-a-day style with a persistant history threaded through all the strips. Set in an urban fantasy world, it carries a surreal comedy with heavy use of deconstruction of tropes and other comics/stories. Unfortunately, the quality of the humour varies significantly and you may find yourself rapidly flicking through until it picks up speed again.

>>
Media deleted

My favorite will always be "A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible". It's off beat humor just resonates with me.

>>
Media deleted

http://www.disenchantedcomic.com/ Pretty cool webcomic about slum fairies.

>>

request : Does anyone have an archive of the webcomic "Dancing For The Stars", which used to be at pan.rydia.net ? ElaineFair was the tripod account it had been on at one time also.

>>

>>883 >tripod Damn. That's some ancient shit.

>>

>>884 Probably has something to do with me being ancient :)

>>

I hope you find it. I tried to but came up empty.

>>

>>891 Finally thought to check the wayback machine, but it had only saved 7 comics. Tried both rydia and tripod. Ah well, thats the way life goes.

>>

I want all of the webcomics I follow to finish already.

>>
Media deleted

>>1233 I wish Zack would just become rich already and update Paranatural 5 times a week

>>

>>1235 He should get a patreon if he hasn't done so already. Also add a qt3.14. This is why a lot of webcomics are famous (see Gunnercrig and Unsounded)

>>
Media deleted

Slow but the wait is totally worth it.

>>
Media deleted

>>141 You know, I used to read a webcomic called Ozy and Millie back in the day, like when I was a teenager. It was kind of like Calvin and Hobbes in certain ways, like obviously in the title and they kind of had their own version of Calvinball and the characters are kind of similar -- honestly it was kind of a ripoff of Calvin and Hobbes in a lot of ways. Still though, because Calvin and Hobbes is so great, even a Calvin and Hobbes ripoff can still be a pretty good comic, and that was exactly my opinion of it. Reading some of the strips today, I still a lot of the strips hold up, though they don't all hold up. So I'd say that it has some good strips but it can also be inconsistent as well. The author's political cartoons are really good too. They're half the reason why I'm such a left wing person today probably, because I was reading this really unabashedly liberal comic when I was like younger, and of course, at the time, the alternative was pretty much Bush the tard, so you'd have to be an idiot, a complete moron not to be on the other side of that. In fact, it's one of the few political comics that I can actually stand, because it's not just a bunch of terrible visual metaphors like most political cartoons. Like there's actually different panels and recurring characters and dialogue and it's not lame as hell. Of course since it's a political comic a lot of it's kind of irrelevant now that time has passed. And then I dunno, the next comic she made was called Raine Dog and it was like this comic about this guy that like fucks a dog or something, I dunno, that one was kind of weird. And that was the last thing I read that she did. But check out Ozy and Millie, anyhow, or the political cartoon, which was called "I Drew This", or maybe Raine Dog if you're interested in like, sex with animals.

>>
Media deleted

Damn, I could've sworn Gone with the Blastwave was in a never ending hiatus, but a new strip was there when this thread convinced me to at least check. Only web comic that I really like wholeheartedly, thanks /co/.

>>

finished?

>>

>>141 Thanks for the list!

Update 5